This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
Free web builder software

Hey people

I'm looking for an easy to use piece of software that I could build a website with. It'll be just a couple of pages but I want to do it myself. It's just text and pics and I want the flexibility to update and change things for myself.

I have put in "free website builder" in Gogle and lots comes up but are there any that people have used and could recommend?

Thanx

Create the business of your dreams

Try Business Coaching for yourself with a FREE no obligation Coaching Consultation.
Click here to email me.
Connector
There are a number of free tools that can create web pages, some better than others, some requiring more low level knowledge of web design and HTML so I wouldnt class these as easy to use. The easiest piece of software I've found so far is WebsiteX5 since it works at a higher level than a lot of web design packages (at the level a lot of sitebuilders work at). Unfortunately this is not free, but there have been free versions on computer magazine discs recently so worth checking, and there is a trial version available from the www.websitex5.com site.

But even if you get a free piece of software, there is still the domain name and hosting of the site to consider.

When all of this is considered, the only totally free solution I can think of at present is Microsoft Office Live, which provides domain name, hosting (poor quality US hosting with thousands of sites on the same server, but free all the same), and a sitebuilder system to create and manage your site. Due to the US hosting, if you are targeting the UK audience then go for a .co.uk domain to help with the search engines.

The next closest thing to this is 123-reg.co.uk's instant site service, which gives you a free one page online sitebuilder (with advertising) and UK hosting with every domain name you purchase. I've set up an example site using this service here:
www.webdesignwellingborough.co.uk
You can upgrade to more pages without the adverts for £2 a month which is really the equivalent of paying for cheap hosting but still getting the sitebuilder free.

Freebies: year planner (pdf), singer songwriter (album)
Entrepreneur
Thanks Awebapart,

I already have the domain name and hosting and can do basic html. It's for freedom from Webmasters really. As it will be nothing special (ie not all-singin, all dancing) I feel I should use the opportunity to get a bit more web savvy. Thanks for the info..

Create the business of your dreams

Try Business Coaching for yourself with a FREE no obligation Coaching Consultation.
Click here to email me.
Starting Out
Quote:
Originally posted by Showgirl4
Thanks Awebapart,

I already have the domain name and hosting and can do basic html. It's for freedom from Webmasters really. As it will be nothing special (ie not all-singin, all dancing) I feel I should use the opportunity to get a bit more web savvy. Thanks for the info..
Why not use a design company instead, there are plenty of designers on here by the looks of it. In my opinion free website builders are a waste of space, the final result generally looks sh!t and you don't get the results you're looking for. If you've got basic HTML knowledge you would no doubt have the skills to update the website after someone had created it for you. An alternative is using a content management system (which i can offer you ) that uses a WYSIWYG editor to allow you to update the site yourself. An example of that is - www.kitesurfing.org

Southern Designs Banner

SOUTHERNDESIGNS : : Photography, Print and Web Media

www.southerndesigns.co.uk | info@southerndesigns.co.uk

Connector
Ive got incomedia's websitex5 and its really good but cant get the site to then upload onto the web! Do you have to host the site yourself...advice please!!

I also have a couple of site with 1 and 1 dot co dot uk and their website builder tool is literally awesome and extremely comprehensive with every tool you can image from forum building to newsletter creation as well as an easy step by step guide to creating your own site etc...

In Association with:

www.callcentrefree.co.uk

Free 0844 local rate number Free Voicemail
Free Call Forwarding Free Switchboard Service!

Use a unique number for your ads to accurately gauge marketing feedback!
Connector
try joomla. you just get someone to set it up with a simple template...£50 max or read the instructions and then you can play about as much as you like. has blogs and all kinds of toys if you can be bothered and it is all php so you can use any computer anywhere to update.
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike.C
Ive got incomedia's websitex5 and its really good but cant get the site to then upload onto the web! Do you have to host the site yourself...advice please!!
Websitex5 is just windows software, there is no hosting included. You have to provide the hosting. The trial version does not allow you to export or ftp the website to your host, it is just there to give you a feel of what is possible.

This is one of the big differences between web design software you download, and online sitebuilders like 123-reg instant site. With the online sitebuilders you dont have to worry about hosting, ftp settings, or other techie things like that since everything is online, you build the site online, the site is already in its hosted area.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike.C
I also have a couple of site with 1 and 1 dot co dot uk and their website builder tool is literally awesome and extremely comprehensive with every tool you can image from forum building to newsletter creation as well as an easy step by step guide to creating your own site etc...
Yes the 1and1 sitebuilder is good, and so is the 123-reg instant site sitebuilder. The reason I recomended 123-reg is because they host in the UK. 1and1 host their sites in germany which means that you will have problems with UK search engines if you have a .com website, but a .co.uk website should be OK (as in OK for most people considering the cheap sitebuilder solutions).

Mike, to demonstrate this issue, if you google for networkyorkshire your .com site comes up first, if you repeat the search with 'pages from the UK' enabled your site does not come up. This also means that google will downrank you for other more common search terms like network yorkshire whether 'pages from the UK' is enabled or not. So if you really want to use 1and1 sitebuilder and target the UK market and search engines, you should use a .co.uk domain name. If you want to target the UK and have a .com domain name and use an online sitebuilder, you should use a UK-hosted online sitebuilder like 123-reg instant site.

Connector
BTW Mike, I remember us chatting about WebsiteX5 back in March on another forum!
www.4networking.biz/forum/36-8/1114

Entrepreneur
I have developed my own website builder (link in sig) which is a free download and might work well.

I can supply hosting as well if wanted
Connector
I remember chatting about it as I had got the free trial websitex1 I then bought the full software and had hosting arranged via 1and1 but still couldnt get the site to upload even with the ftp info!?

If you have any help or info please drop me an email!!

In Association with:

www.callcentrefree.co.uk

Free 0844 local rate number Free Voicemail
Free Call Forwarding Free Switchboard Service!

Use a unique number for your ads to accurately gauge marketing feedback!
Website builders are really helpful! Several years ago I couldnít even imagine that I would create a site by myself)) Choosing suitable for me website builder, of course, I started with reading articles and watching videos in Internet. To my astonishment I found articles with a selection of several builders where I could compare them, like this one http://www.webbuildersguide.com. For the first time I chose a free one Site123, because itís possible to replace demo content and itís compatible with mobile devices. But it was my first time! Maybe, it would be better to get advice from someone more experienced first))