This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
Importing from USA

My business is now getting to the point where deliveries are too large for USPS. How do I go about organising shipping by freight? I need to keep costs as low as possible.
Connector
Sea or Air frieght??

shipping pallets/boxes...give me an idea how often you are shipping, where from, weight, number of parcels, value of goods.......I import 5hit loads of stuff from the US each week.

Cheers,
Ben.
Connector
Oh and how urgent are they?
Entrepreneur
Boxes, by sea, mostly from AZ & NC. Weight 100-200lbs, possibly more. Value is fairly low for most - these are nappies! & not especially urgent & pretty infrequent - monthly or less.
Connector
You have tons of options then!!!-especially as they are not-urg you can go with the most cost effective freight forwarding agent!

Best thing to do is get in touch with as many companies as poss, look in the yellow pages, internet search etc etc and draft up a doc saying all the spec, average weight, dimentions, shipping zip codes, value of goods etc and state-must be as cheap as poss!! If they have the network, you will get some really good rates back. Now, ensure that they quote you by return with all the cost's involved, cause some sneaky low-lifes add things like fuel surchareg & sercurity surcharges without telling you...I have had this. Make sure they write back so you dont have to see pesky sales reps...oh & make sure they dont keep you on thier databases!

If you are based NW, I could recomend a few agents, but I mainly ship everything time critical and use air frieght.

I would also suggest having a few people on file as back-up...just in case & I would also recomend opening an account with DHL/FedEx/UPS etc etc so if, say, in an emergency you sell all your nappies (perhaps there could be an out break of the shits with the kids ;-), then at least the option is there if you need to get something quick.

I would have thought your supplier would have been able to secure some rates, especially if they export alot??

Ben.
Entrepreneur
Quote:
Originally posted by BEN
I would have thought your supplier would have been able to secure some rates, especially if they export alot??

Ben.
This is where I have a usp. Many of these companies only sell within USA apart from what they sell to me. So as far as export/import, its new to them as well.
Entrepreneur
I own a freight forwarders, and we are fairly cheap, if you want a quote give us a shout @ freight@tradewinds-express.com

Its a good point about having a UPS / fedex account as back up as well - you never know when u might need them.
Starting Out
Hi,
I have products shipped from the US and use FEDEX. I am fairly new to importing but so far I have found them very reliable and in my opinion reasonably priced. They were more than happy to send out costs of shipping and give you the option of economy or priority. However, don't forget you will also be billed for FREIGHT, FUEL, DUTY & VAT. FEDEX;0800 123 800
Starting Out
I know this is a very late reply but i would like to voice out my opinion here. Anyway, if your deliveries are to large then you need an international freight and shipping firm for that because they can handle big deliveries and shipments. I would like to sugget a firm called BR International, i know this is late but for future reference you can use it. Good Luck!

Regards,
Emelia, Freight Marketing
BR International Best Freight Forwarder USA to Australia