Developing a corporate identity is important as it will make your business:
- look professional;
- more appealing to potential customers/clients; and
- look established and appear bigger than it really is.
Your corporate identity will impact on how your employees (if you have any), suppliers and customers see your business. Ask for their opinions on how they see your business and use this feedback to help develop your desired corporate identity. Also look at other companies, both large and small, and see how they have successfully cultivated their image.
A corporate identity is relatively easy to develop as it revolves around one word - consistency. This consistency should encompass all facets of the business. You may want to think about some of the following:
- use of your company logo (colours, font)
- stationery and promotional literature (style, letterhead, font, wording, quality of paper)
- staff uniforms (style, colours, logo, smart appearance)
- website (lay-out, colours, font, wording)
- company vehicles (logos, colours, appearance)
Other areas to consider include the appearance of your premises to customers/clients, any signage you use, product packaging, advertisments, telephone manner and quaility of customer service.